Staying awake while caring for and feeding your infant in the night can feel like an impossible task. But there are some strategies to try to make it a bit easier.
- Sit in an uncomfortable, non-plush chair. Or sit on the floor and lean against the wall.
- Alert your support person that you are up and feeding.
- Set an alarm for 10-15 minutes to wake you in case you fall asleep.
- Grab your favorite snack.
- Watch a show high on fun or action (think Schitt’s Creek, Ted Lasso, Chicago Fire).
- Read a new book. Have you read The Last Thing He Told Me? The Midnight Library?
- Edit and clean up all the photos of your little one.
- Scroll Instagram, and get into a celebrity deep dive. (We know way too much about the lives of every Bachelor contestant.)
- Shop or browse the latest fashions for you or baby.
- Reach out to a friend also feeding in the night.
- Connect with an online support group on Facebook.
The best nighttime feeding activities will occupy your mind and keep you focused on something positive rather than the fact that you are really tired.