The Do & Don’t List for Safe Sleep
- Do put your baby to sleep on his/her back for every sleep.
- Do put your baby’s crib in the same room as your bed (room-sharing)
- Do put your baby in a crib to sleep for naptime and bedtime
- Do find your own way to stay awake while feeding your baby
- Do use a firm crib mattress covered by a fitted sheet
- Do breastfeed your baby.
- Do offer a pacifier for sleep once breastfeeding is established
- Do use a wearable blanket to keep your baby warm.
- Do vaccinate your baby.
- Don’t put your baby to sleep on his/her side or stomach
- Don’t sleep with your baby on a shared surface.
- Don’t put your baby to sleep on a couch, armchair, or adult bed.
- Don’t fall asleep holding or feeding your baby.
- Don’t use a car seat, swing, stroller or infant carrier for routine sleep.
- Don’t have blankets, pillows, toys or bumper pads in the crib.
- Don’t smoke, drink, or use drugs.
- Don’t swaddle your baby if he/she shows signs of rolling over.
- Don’t let your baby overheat.
Safe Sleep is Hard. Your Baby is Worth it.